blog*spot
get rid of this ad | advertise here
In Memory of Miss Cookie Miyuki


10/17/87 - 10/22/03

about losing miss cookie

home
archives
contact us

my favorite links

My Life...(and other meaningless drivel)

Dr. Alice Villalobos

PetCo

HaloScan

Guide Dogs of America

Guide Dogs for the Blind





It's Miss Cookie!





This page is powered by Blogger.



Thursday, October 23, 2003  

COOKIE MIYUKI (October 17, 1987 - October 22, 2003)
nee Naughty Cookie Johnson



Last night, October 22, I made the difficult decision of letting my dear sweet dog go. In the last week, she had undergone several tests, hospitalization in three different locations and too much discomfort to live a quality life. I was referred to a wonderfully compassionate veterinarian who informed me that Miss Cookie was much sicker than we had initially thought. In addition to chronic cirrhosis, her kidneys were withering away and she had painful gallstones. Unfortunately, it would only be a matter of time before she would suffer. I love my dog too much to see her go through anything more than she has to. The recommendation was that she be euthanized as none of the treatments she had been given in the last week were improving her condition. I didn't want her to sustain a miserable life on IVs.

As most of you know, Monday night, I thought Cookie had died. I was giving her a bath and we were half way through when she started screaming (particularly disturbing as she hasn't barked in three years) and went limp in my arms. As far as I knew, she stopped breathing and I truly believed Cookie died an excruciating and traumatic death. When I found the courage to see her one last time, I happily discovered that she was not there - she had picked her little body up and walked into my bedroom and was sleeping soundly in her bed.

Whenever somebody we love passes, we always wish for that one extra opportunity to share with them in order to say a proper good-bye. I was lucky enough to get this. Both my doctors and my family believe that Cookie came back for a reason. I believe it was to allow my family and I to let her know how much we loved her and to hold the last memory of her in our hearts as being peaceful and loving and not frenzied and traumatic.

In her last hours, she looked spent. Throughout her life, she was always willing to fight to stay alive no matter how grim her diagnosis. But this time, she looked as if she didn't have any fight left in her. It was then that I knew putting her down was the right decision.

I was able to bid a proper farewell to my dog and let her know it was ok to go. The hardest thing I've ever had to do was to make the decision to say good-bye. But I knew that this way, she wouldn't have to suffer anymore and hopefully she would find some peace. In her final moments, she became relaxed, peaceful and she even smiled at me. As the nurse motioned that she was gone, my dad noticed her tail wagging, as if to say a final good-bye.

I know this e-mail is rather lengthy and well, an e-mail. As much as I would have preferred telling each of you what happened, I just don't think my heart could handle it. Thank you for being my friends and for showing your love to both me and especially Cookie. My baby lived a long, happy life, and for that, I am most grateful.

posted by lisa | linkorama | |
Comments: Post a Comment

click here to read archived posts