blog*spot
get rid of this ad | advertise here
In Memory of Miss Cookie Miyuki


10/17/87 - 10/22/03

about losing miss cookie

home
archives
contact us

my favorite links

My Life...(and other meaningless drivel)

Dr. Alice Villalobos

PetCo

HaloScan

Guide Dogs of America

Guide Dogs for the Blind





It's Miss Cookie!





This page is powered by Blogger.



Sunday, October 17, 2004  

Dearest Miss Cookie,

Happy birthday!!! Today would have been your 17th birthday. I am flooded with memories of the birthdays we spent together and how important they were to me (maybe more so than for you). It was so much fun for me to buy you presents and shower you with attention in hopes that you wouldn't get annoyed an walk away. Heehee...you knew how much attention you wanted and could put up with, but nothing more. Every year for your birthday, I give you a present and remind you that the day is for you. Unless I had to go to work, I would spend the day home with you.

Do you remember I would give you some canned senior Science Diet dog food since I know you would happily devour it? Later on, you would get several extra treats and a slice of American cheese for dessert. You probably bet you won the lottery with all the good food, not really knowing why you were being showered with the attention. I know, I know...maybe this showering of attention was more for me than for you because as a dog, you really didn't comprehend the idea of the birthday. But, oh how I loved any excuse to feed you just a little bit more and spend just another hour with you.

Today, it is hard for me, knowing you are gone. I don't know whether to be sad that I couldn't make good on my promise to you last year or to be happy that you were once here...and that you were my dog. I guess I feel a little of both, but more sad that you aren't here...and that I can't spoil you today, on your birthday and that even a year later, your absence in my life is still deeply felt. Thank you for everything you've given me, you were the best thing in my life in the years we spent together.


Happy Birthday Miss Cookie Miyuki...oh, how I loved you.

* * *

Today would have been Cookie's 17th birthday. Last year, she was stuck getting tests at the VCA...and I remember visiting her bottom cage in the pet ICU, promising her that for her birthday next year, things would be better. She looked at me with those big brown eyes trying so hard to get me to carry her out and wisk her home. Her eyes looked so sad, so confused. I know she hated to be there with all the other annoying sick animals. Perhaps she was feeling slightly under the weather, but she couldn't have been that sick. Could she? When I visitor hours were over and I had to go home, I remember promising to Miss Cookie that next year would be better...next birthday I would give her yummy food and that she would be home with me and I'd get her the best present ever. As she looked at me, I could see the yearning in her eyes to have me take her with me. Maybe she felt punished or unloved because we rarely spent a night apart...and when we did, she was a big emotional wreck. I told her I would be back, I told her it was because she wasn't feeling herself...I hope she understood that.

All of this kills me all the more because birthdays are always important to me. Whether it be with friends or family, a birthday, any birthday is special. Even though they aren't with me anymore, I still celebrate my grandparents' birthdays and make sure to set aside a few more extra moments to be thankful for their lives and what they meant to me. Thinking about having to "mentally celebrate" Cookie's birthday today isn't really something I thought last year would happen to me in the following year.

posted by lisa | linkorama | |
Comments: Post a Comment

click here to read archived posts